Almost two weeks ago we began talking about the End of Times and false prophets. Today’s post will be closely related to Beware of False Prophets, so please check it out if you haven’t already done so.
In said previous post, I equated King Belshazzar’s usage of the Jews sacred cups for his own personal use to Satan using a sacred person to carry out his plans. I then went on to use the Pope as an example.
Do I believe the Pope is the Antichrist? Not yet. In all honesty, I was leaning more to the False Prophet.
Yes, as said before, in the last days there will be many false prophets. False prophets are those who say they are speaking for God and behalf of God but they are a wolf in sheep’s clothing with a purpose to take many away from God.
Missy, how can we tell if someone is a false prophet? Well, I’m glad you asked. In the previous post, we covered one and today I will add a couple more.
- They will deny that Jesus is God. ( 1 John 4:1-6);
- What they Prophesy will not come true (Deuteronomy 18:21-22);
- The person’s prophecy or teaching will lead you away from God (Deuteronomy 13: 1-4);
- Godly character is not evident (be careful with this one as Satan has a great counterfeit for this-don’t just look for blessings in a person’s life- look for the fruits of the spirit (Galatians 5:22-23) (Matthew 7:15-17) as well as what they do and say;
Their words and actions are not obedient or consistent with Scripture (Isaiah 8:19-20) Matthew 5:17–19
“Do not think that I came to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I did not come to abolish but to fulfill.18 “For truly I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not the smallest letter or stroke shall pass from the Law until all is accomplished. 19 “Whoever then annuls one of the least of these commandments, and teaches others to do the same, shall be called least in the kingdom of heaven; but whoever keeps and teaches them, he shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.
So, while we know there will be many false prophets trying to lead people astray, we must also know and be watchful for THE FALSE PROPHET who will come and prepare the way for the Antichrist.
Yes, the False Prophet (finally), the one who started this whole complicated, messy series. The third person of the unholy trinity. Like I said before, almost anything God does, Satan has a counterfeit. Copycat; Copycat. What do we know about this false prophet?
Let us take a look at Revelation 13:11-18:
11 Then I saw another beast coming up out of the earth, and he had two horns like a lamb and spoke like a dragon. 12 And he exercises all the authority of the first beast in his presence, and causes the earth and those who dwell in it to worship the first beast, whose deadly wound was healed.13 He performs great signs, so that he even makes fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men. 14 And he deceives those[e] who dwell on the earth by those signs which he was granted to do in the sight of the beast, telling those who dwell on the earth to make an image to the beast who was wounded by the sword and lived. 15 He was granted power to give breath to the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak and cause as many as would not worship the image of the beast to be killed. 16 He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads, 17 and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or[f] the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
I firmly believe in not “reinventing the wheel,” so keeping with that sentiment, I have found a great explanation of the False Prophet at http://www.discoverrevelation.com/Rev_13.html.
Please note, any of my own thoughts added can be distinguished by the purple font.
- “Then I saw another beast, coming out of the earth”. Many Bible teachers suggest that his coming up out of the earth indicates that he will not come up out of the sea of peoples, as the first beast does. That is, he will not be of mixed nationality; that he comes out of the earth (around Palestine) may indicate that he will be a Jew. If this is true, it blows my whole Pope theory right out of the water! But keep an eye on him anyway just in case this is wrong. And, once again, just because he isn’t The False Prophet does not mean he is not a false prophet. This points to an apostate Jew who, during the first 3-1/2 years, will lead Israel to make a covenant with Antichrist and deceive them by hiding his apostasy until the middle of the Tribulation period, at which time he will serve his purpose by revealing his apostate beliefs and practices.
- “He had two horns like a lamb.” The Lord Jesus Christ is often referred to in the Gospels and in the book of Rev. as “the Lamb of God”. As such He has taken away the sin of the world. The False Prophet coming on the earth will look like a lamb with two horns. Lambs do not have horns, which are symbols of authority; instead, they are meek and mild animals. The Lord Jesus said in the Sermon on the Mount, “Watch out for false prophets. They come to you in sheep’s clothing, but inwardly they are ferocious wolves” (Mat. 7 v.15) The False Prophet will come to Israel in sheep’s clothing, but God terms him “a beast”. Okay, so my call to watch the Pope is not really all that far-fetched. You should clearly be able to see why I have cause for concern. The Pope does appear to be very lamb-like, but his words and actions are more equivalent to #3.
- “He spoke like a dragon” suggest that he will derive power of speech from the devil who is the dragon. This False Prophet will deceive human beings by acting like a lamb; but really he will speak the words of Satan. His actions may be Jesus-like, but his words will not line up with Scripture. While the Pope may not be The False Prophet, he is a great example of how the False Prophet will appear.
- “He exercised all the authority of the first beast on his behalf.” The close relationship between these two world leaders is seen in the fact that the False Prophet will be given power by the Antichrist himself. His whole purpose will be to work toward the complete dominance of the earth by the Antichrist, including a form of religion satisfactory to the Antichrist. Do you now understand why this picture makes me very uncomfortable. No, these two are likely not the False Prophet and the Antichrist, but, once again, it will be very much like this.
- “He made the earth and its inhabitants worship the first beast.” The False Prophet’s basic purpose and operation with all of this power from the Antichrist and speech from the devil will be to drive people to worship the Antichrist. When indwelt by Satan in the midst of the Tribulation, the Antichrist will be so deceived about himself that he will deem himself God and seek the worship of human beings. (2 Thess. 2 v.3-8) This form of worship will be propagated by the second beast or False Prophet. He may well be described as the high priest of the Antichrist’s religious system during the Tribulation period. Very reminiscent of John the Baptist and Holy Spirit
6. “And he doeth great wonders, so that he maketh fire come down from heaven on the earth in the sight of men,” The False Prophet will deceive unbelievers of the earth by means of wonders and miracles, accomplished through satanic power. He will produce the miracles of Elijah and as a false Elijah as he will lead people to worship a false messiah
Fire from Heaven, can you imagine witnessing this? As this happens later in the tribulation (the church will be gone), there will bemany new or weak believers that could be swayed by this along with the non-believing deceived. If you are ready this now: be warned.
7. “And deceiveth them that dwell on the earth by [the means of] those miracles which he had power to do in the sight of the beast; saying to them that dwell on the earth, that they should make an image to the beast, which had the wound by a sword, and did live. “And he had power to give life unto the image of the beast, that the image of the beast should both speak, and cause that as many as would not worship the image of the beast should be killed.” The False Prophet will cause an image of the Antichrist to be built and will have power to “give breath to the image of the first beast”. In the midst of the Tribulation, after the Antichrist has been slain and resurrected, the False Prophet will cause people to build an image like Nebuchadnezzar’s image and will demand that it be worshiped. Nebuchadnezzar’s Dream
8. He will issue an order that all who do not worship him will be killed. Rev. 20 v.4 tells us that many will be slain by the guillotine.
9. Everything the false prophet does is calculated to increase the power and authority of the Antichrist. That is not surprising, for he receives his own power and authority from the Antichrist.
10. “And he causeth all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and bond, to receive a mark in their right hand, or in their foreheads:” “And that no man might buy or sell, save he that had the mark, or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.”
This is the Mark of the Beast,” one of the most often quoted and least understood end time prophecies of the Bible. The word translated “Mark” means, literally, “graven.” It conveys the sense of being “branded.” Mark of the Beast
The custom of the Hebrews, when they took a slave for life, was to mark them by driving an awl through their ear. (see Exodus 21v.6) . Accepting the mark of the Beast means you are sold into slavery, to Satan.
Without a mark, a person will be unable to engage in routine commerce. Notice here, it does not say you cannot live. It says you cannot buy or sell. DO NOT TAKE THIS MARK; Jesus will help you.
Anyone who accepts this mark during the Tribulation has already made his choice, and that choice will permanently disqualify its wearer from heaven. Remember when you get the mark you MUST swear allegiance to the Antichrist as god. It isn’t merely economic, it is a worship system. Accepting the mark is tantamount to a rejection of Jesus. This is a permanent, irreversible rejection.
Many currently worry that they will accept the mark accidentally, such as the case with national ID cards. This is not so. To accept the mark of the beast, one will knowingly agree to renounce God and to accept this mark. Without the mark, no one will be able to buy or sell and will fear they and/or their family will die. But to accept the mark means eternal death.
“If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives a mark on his forehead or upon his hand, he also will drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is mixed in full strength in the cup of His anger; and he will be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the lamb.” (Rev. 14 v.10)
11. Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and his number [is] Six hundred threescore [and] six.
The False Prophet will use this mark as a means of forcing people to worship Antichrist. He will demand that everyone have his mark on their foreheads or on their hands in order to buy or sell. One can scarcely imagine the pressures of having to possess such a mark in order to secure the necessary food for his family.
There are many views on what the 666 stands for but no where is it given in the bible as to what it means exactly. We do know that to accept the mark is to accept Antichrist as God and thus deny God.
There it is in a nutshell my friends. To some I maybe a little too fanatical, but I am just following directions from my Lord to keep watch. I will continue to encourage us all to be watchful, to be on our knees, and to be walking faithfully with the Lord. Remember, nobody knows the hour of Jesus’ return for his church….don’t be caught sleeping. Think of this as your alarm clock. Read it. Stop hitting snooze (just kidding).
Be blessed and Be a Blessing,